Saturday, May 18, 2013

It's A Simple Game


Wow! I have written 25 posts on this little blog. That's a fairly good start, but I've learned one thing already. I've still got a lot to learn. One thing I could still learn more about is topic selection. I have realized that I often leave a lot unwritten as I search for or even, at times, wait for the perfect idea to use.

What this has led to is me not writing as much as I probably should for fear of posting something of poor quality. If you have known me for very long, this element of perfectionism is not likely to shock you greatly.

When I started this blog, I intended to incorporate observations, responses, and personal beliefs about the world of sports. Two sports quotes seem to apply perfectly to this situation.

One is from hockey legend Wayne Gretzky who said "You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take."

The other comes from the movie Bull Durham. "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains. Think about that for a while."

What these quotes show me is that if I never let an idea see the light of day, it can never have a chance to be great. If I have something to write, I should write. Sometimes it'll be good, and sometimes it'll be bad. Sometimes, it won't matter much at all, but writing is how I will learn and improve. I just need to fight against the doubt and worry that tries to tell me how poorly I am doing.

Perhaps this whole post could have been written as a much shorter passage.

"Don't think Meat. Just throw."

(I hope to have a post soon about my views on music ministry. Stay tuned.)




Scripture: "In the fear of the LORD there is strong confidence, and His children will have a place of refuge." Proverbs 14:26

Quote: "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance." - Samuel Johnson


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment